Header 2

Hello to all Carbon Based Bipedal Mammalian Lifeforms Descended from Apes! Good Probability to You!

For optimal linear flow of information, please initiate reading sequence with first post, titled "Intro." Thanks, and good probability to you!

Monday, October 28, 2013

Using Vulcan Wisdom To Overcome An Age Old Trekkie Obstacle



WARNING: This method of self-imposed mind control can be dangerous if one doesn’t already have years of training and experience in sarcasm, irony and dry humor. Please consult with your personal physician or mental health care provider before attempting.  

There’s an old Vulcan saying: There is no offense if none is taken. I’ve decided to apply that thought to what may conceivably be one of the most painful theme songs ever: “Where My Heart Will Take Me,” which plays over the opening credits of Star Trek: Enterprise. From what I've witnessed online, I'm only one of thousands that loves the series but has a huge distaste for the song. 

I’m a huge fan of ENT and the images used for the opening sequence are awesome. After all, it is the only Trek series to use actual off-planet footage during the opening credits. But since I started my second viewing of the series, I didn’t want to have to fast forward the beginning of every episode because of the song.
  
I kept hearing that hipsters these days have the skill to like things “ironically,” therefore I decided I would give that a try with WMHWTM. I’ve come up with my own mental version of Will Ferrell doing an interpretive ice skating dance routine. And now, instead of being repulsed, I end up laughing.

I told my mind that I would now consider WMHWTM one of the greatest songs ever. Better than Stairway to Heaven, Bohemian Rhapsody and Let It Be combined. I sing along with it every time. I have memorized the lyrics. I plan on learning the guitar chords.

I have embraced its purity. 

I’ve even created my own personalized interactive element. At about 30 seconds into the video below, when “I will touch the….” is sung, I raise my fist high in the air. And when the sentence finishes with the word “…sky” I open my palm and bow my head as a way of openly displaying reverence.

The offensive nature of the song has now been overcome. Instead of repulsion, there is laughter. There is now no longer offense, for none is taken.

You’re welcome.

Check out the video. Remember to sing along as loudly as you can. And don’t forget the raised hand and the bowing of the head out of respect for the song’s majesty. And if you come up with any of your own interpretive moves, please feel free to share them in the comments section below.




Stephen Sumner is the science fiction columnist for Action A Go Go. He's proficient in the art of Klingon swearing and is currently attempting the Vulcan practice of Kolinar, the purging of all emotion. His two other favorite sci-fi series are Battlestar Galactica and Firefly. He can be followed on Twitter at https://twitter.com/VierLights or on the Tumblr machine at  http://vierlights.tumblr.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment